Thursday, May 19, 2011

America, OHH how I miss thee... let me count the ways...

Posted by Allison Spence at 8:49 AM
It's official! A visit home this summer is happening people! And I hope you can tell from all the exclamation points I'm using, that I'm very excited!

**Side note... how funny is it that before coming to Morocco, I was so certain I wouldn't be or want to visit home once over the two years. Silly Ali, you were so wrong...

I feel like a blog just listing the things I'm most excited for is in order...

These are all the things that Morocco has taught me to appreciate more or maybe even for the first time... like I definitely took carpeting for granted and being able to run outside in shorts.

Let's do this people....


WHY I MISS AMERICA

1. Family! It's been almost 15 months since a hug from my mom and I don't care if I'm almost 24... I feel like I'm 13 most of the time and mom hugs help in any situation...

2. Friends! There are too many of you to count that I'd give anything to just be able to pick up the phone and easily call when things are at their worst (and best).

3. Driving... So much wasted time waiting on public transportation... ugh. Not to mention the hassle it is if I want to visit someone more than an hour away.

4. Sliced bread... I miss sandwiches. Ham and cheese, Turkey with tomato, not to mention all the fancy ones from the many sandwich places in the states. I appreciate a good sandwich now. Oh the convenience, oh the deliciousness...

5. Beer and other adult beverages. Is it true that in America, you can walk to almost any gas station, corner store, super market, um BAR, and buy a drink? Wow... I miss that.

6. Bacon and other pork products. I hope my family greets me at the airport with a plate of bacon or maybe one of those fabulous BLT sandwiches I remember eating once...

7. Music, movies, news! I feel very disconnected from American culture and who knew I'd miss that so much. Granted I still am able to download Glee and 30 Rock every week, but it's just not the same!

8. Dates... Dating in this country is one of the more trickier things I've attempted. I miss the days where going on a date just meant taking an hour to get ready, boy comes to door, out to a good meal, movie, drinks, and then back to my comfy bed. Here it means almost 8 hours of traveling by taxi, bus, and train...

9. Working! I miss working more hours than I spend doing nothing.... the ratio of work (job, school, volunteering, etc.) to down time is almost unbearable. Give me a job Peace Corps, any job!

10. Feeling comfortable in my own skin... Sorry to get serious on you folks, but it's hard being a foreigner here and on top of that.... harder still to be a woman. I have a thick skin, but some days all the stares and the cat calls and the Bonjours are too much. Also feeling on guard all the time can be really tiring... I'll be glad to walk around my hometown and feel comfortable and protected again.

Well I'll limit it to 10, because honestly I could keep going and going.... wearing tank tops, effortless communication, meetings that start on time, parks, concerts, football games and tailgating, going to classes, feeling challenged, jogging... yeah I better stop myself there. ha

Alright America it will be nice to see you in less than 2 months! Huzzah! USA. : )



0 comments on "America, OHH how I miss thee... let me count the ways..."

Post a Comment