Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Deja Vu

Posted by Allison Spence at 9:39 PM
It's after 4am here in Morocco and I can't fall asleep. After trying my numerous tricks such as reading, watching tv, counting sheep, etc.... I gave up and started browsing the web.

I've been online doing the mundane, boring, pointless web surfing for almost 2 hours, when I realized! This situation is all too familiar. Why it was just last February that my sleeping patterns were all off and I was so anxious about leaving for Morocco that sleep almost never came. So I figured why not write a blog while sleep deprived! Let's see what my brain can come up with at this hour...

So here it is... a short update/random ruminations....

1. We recently found out that the new group coming in March will have their training in the same area as we did. My community based training site is being used again and I'm determined to visit my first host family before they get a new volunteer. I want to remind them of how awesome I am and they were pretty darn amazing too. I could use a Moroccan family style pick me up.... lots of tea, nice words about my language, and hopefully lots of hugs from the kids.

2. Progress in my new site is going slllloooooooow, very slow. As hard as it was to live with a host family for almost 2 months... I'm now truly seeing the benefits by realizing how hard it is in the new site without one... Oops! But even so... still don't think I could do the tagine everyday for lunch thing again. No thanks.

3. My charade skills failed me at the pharmacy when I tried to ask for a receipt... why is it so hard to get a receipt in this country? And it still blows my mind that you don't need prescriptions to pick up almost any drug you want in this country. Craziness!

4. I'm not proud to admit this but it's part of my reality here... I'm on bi-weekly bucket baths. Meaning once every week and halfish (or more) I muster up the courage to take a bath while it's freezing in my apartment. I wash my hair wearing all my clothes and hope that I don't splash too much. It helps that I have so many hats in country. I never leave home without one.

5. I'm not alone in this... but I'm constantly re-evaluating my service and my commitment here. Why'd I come here again? What am I doing here again? Um... hello Peace Corps a little help please? ha Well you really got to help yourself out here in the bl3d (country). Easier said than done...

6. Egypt is going nuts! Everyone staying on top of the situation in Egypt?! I'm not visiting the pyramids anytime soon.

7. Sporcle.com is addicting... if you ever get bored dear reader, check it out.

8. Made home made sweet and sour sauce... not half bad. I can not wait to cook for family. I have gained points in the kitchen.

9. Every Wednesday there is souk (weekly market) in my town... This is my weekly shopping list.... half kilo onion, peas, green beans, peppers, potatoes, zucchini.... kilo tomatoes, oranges, cucumbers, cauliflower, lentils, chick peas. So that's not every week, but almost... All of that probably costs me less than 10 dollars. I can only hope that I live near a farmers market or have my own garden someday. There is nothing better than fresh, (mostly) locally grown food.

10. I have the travel bug and it's taking me to Italy and either France or Spain soon. My first solo traveling trips... I'm excited, nervous, but mostly excited.


So it's about time to try a second round of falling asleep tricks... maybe the soothing sound of a British accent talking about mountains or forests will put me to sleep... I'm talking about Planet Earth people. It's amazing.

Hope all is well at home.

0 comments on "Deja Vu"

Post a Comment