Friday, March 5, 2010

Finally here!

Posted by Allison Spence at 4:32 PM

I have been in Morocco for a little over 2 days now and I'm in love. We got into Casablanca around 7 in the morning on the 3rd and then they herded all 71 of us on to the super nice charter buses to Marrakesh. It wasn't too bad of a drive only about 2 hours. After we got there, we checked into this hotel with bungalows. Soon after while we are all very jet lagged, we have our first meeting in country. Met the staff, talked to the country director. The staff seem great and just very excited to have us all here.

Anyways I'm trying to keep this short since it's almost time for dinner and it smells wonderful. (I'm using wi-fi in the cafeteria in our hotel, that overlooks the main town square) I'm smelling wonderful food, watching people at the shops along the square, and listening to the busy chatter of other trainees.

A couple of things!

-I saw the mountains for the first time and drove through them. Beautiful!

-Found out the only really eat couscous on Fridays, their holy day.

-Palm trees everywhere?! Had no idea there were palm trees.

-Listened to current volunteers answer questions on a panel today. Awesome and overwhelming.

-Find out what language I have to learn tomorrow. Eek! So the Berber dialects and Moroccan Arabic (Darija) are completely different! Whoof.

-Get along with my roommates wonderfully.

-The food has been good! Interesting for sure. No bad digestion problems yet! (I'm sure it will come soon enough)

-I had the most amazing orange I have ever tasted! Screw Florida oranges. They are growing on trees all over Marrakesh and in season now. Delicious!

-I've dabbled in using my French in a shop. haha It didn't go that well.... haha He was selling canaries and spices. So cool seeing the spices in these huge barrels.

**Hope all is well in the homeland.

0 comments on "Finally here!"

Post a Comment